Short-Term Pain, Long-Term Gain: The Bold Pursuit of the Brokerage Model
Your brain is wired for shortcuts—what’s the biggest one you take daily?
Accepting the status quo! The pain of change often outweighs current frustrations, and the MedTech industry is no exception. Stu Brandon, a change agent for ASCdx, spent the first 21 years of his career giving his best to a large orthopaedic company.
But when the juice stopped being worth the squeeze, he embraced the unknowns and carved his own path. Now, as a medical device broker, he helps both geographically exclusive and non-exclusive companies deliver ASC solutions.We sat down with Stu to discuss why so many 1099 reps act like W2 employees, how they can take back freedom and work with people they like, and why their influence is only as strong as their ability to have candid conversations.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Where along your career path it makes sense to suffer short-term pain for long-term gain
- Why Company X would ever prefer a rep to sell Company Y’s product to their account
- The blind spots that can accompany a direct selling role at a large company
- The personality traits best-suited for the brokerage model
- How to test whether your best relationships would follow you to a different company
Plus, we dig into the psychological underpinnings of why we’re often our own barriers to growth.
Get top advice delivered right to your inbox or mobile phone
Join the Medical Sales Accelerator List! We'll send you an email and/or text each week with a direct link to the newest episode, along with exclusive resources, proven tips, and industry updates!